Van Buren County Youth Leadership Council
Youth Leadership Council (YLC) was started in the 2006-2007 school year in Van Buren County. The students decided they wanted to fight issues of drug and alcohol abuse alongside tobacco prevention. They
voted and decided to call themselves the Youth Leadership Council.
In the fall of 2016 the Youth Leadership Council decided to join forces with the Wellness Council. This will allowed them to address a variety of prevention issues in the community. They voted and decided
to change their name to Warriors Ignite. In the fall of 2017 the Warriors Ignite Members felt that more people might recognize them better if they changed their name back to Youth Leadership Council and did so.
YLC Activities Include:
- Sticker Shock
- Peer Teaching with elementary students
- Street Marketing activities at community events
- Work to strengthen and stiffen alcohol, tobacco, and drug policies
- Youth Advocacy Day at the Capitol
- Great American Smoke-out and Kick Butts Day activities
- Alcohol Awareness Month activities
- National Drug & Alcohol Facts Week Activities
- Through with Chew Activities
319-293-3334 ext. 1017
This website was made possible by The Van Buren County SAFE Coalition, The Van Buren Community School District, Iowa Partnership for Success Funds, Iowa Department of Public Health, and Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).